How To Find Electrical Services In Dallas & Fort Worth > Your Guide
Searching for electrical services can be a surprisingly time-consuming and frustrating process if you don't know where to start.
If you're using the old-fashioned methods of finding an electrician, like choosing from a phonebook, then you’re practically just picking randomly out of a hat. Is that really how you want to choose the stranger who will come into your home or business and mess with your electrical system?
If you're not careful about the electrician you select, you could face some serious issues:
- Major fire risks if the electrical work isn't done right.
- Faulty wiring or lighting that flickers or stops working completely.
- An unreliable contractor who doesn't arrive when he's supposed to and doesn't complete the job as agreed.
- Dangerous code violations if the contractor doesn't perform the work properly.
- Potential liability and costly damages that fall back on you or your insurance company if the electrician isn't insured.
- One big, costly headache that leaves you without the electrical services or repairs you requested.
These scenarios may sound extreme, but they are actually very common across the United States.
This is why it's so important to choose your electrician carefully – but you don't need to stress about it either. By doing a little bit of research and using a simple list of criteria to compare different contractors, you can easily find a skilled electrical company that is perfect for your needs.
Follow the tips below to see how easy it is to determine the best electrical contractors.
Electrical Services – What to Look for
Choosing a contractor doesn't need to be difficult. It's all a matter of finding someone with the right skills, experience and credentials.
Here's what to look for, and questions you can ask to ensure that your prospective contractor will be a good fit.
- License & CertificationIs the contractor certified and licensed to provide electrical services in your area? How recently were they certified?
- Skills & ExperienceDoes the contractor have the specific skills you're looking for? For example, if you need new lighting, ask how many other lighting projects they've handled in the past. Does he specialize in this area or is it a secondary service?
- InsuranceIs the electrician insured? If not, you could run into big problems if something goes wrong. For example, if the contractor causes a fire, you or your insurance company will have to pay. An insured contractor, however, is covered in case of situations like this.
- Residential vs. CommercialDoes the contractor specialize in residential work or commercial, or both? For example, if you need updated wiring and lighting in a 10,000 square-foot warehouse, then your best bet is to choose a company that has significant experience with commercial electrical work.
- Cost & Time to Complete the Project
We all want to save money, but keep in mind that selecting the cheapest option isn't always the smartest decision. However, that doesn't mean you can't compare your options. When meeting with electricians, always be sure to get a clear explanation of costs (on paper), as well as a time frame for completion.
Ways of Finding Good Electrical Services – Compared
- PhonebookAs mentioned above, this is not always a reliable way to find any type of contractor. A small Yellow Pages ad isn't enough to tell if an electrical services company has the skills and experience you need. Plus, the bigger companies can get away with charging higher prices, simply by placing larger ads that push out the little guys.
Tip: Use phonebook ads ONLY as a method for comparing several contractors who you plan to call for more information.
- Recommendations & ReferralsReferrals can be a great way to find a trusted professional in nearly any trade. If you know someone who has used an electrician in the past, ask them what their experience was like and if they'd recommend using that person again.
Tip: Don't go on referrals alone. Even if your neighbor or colleague recommends a guy, that doesn't mean it's the right contractor for you. Use the recommendation to help you narrow your list of potential options, and call each option to speak to the contractors yourself.
- InternetThe Internet can be another great way to find electrical services but again, you have to inspect your options carefully. Use the Web as a basic guide for finding a good electrician in your area, but just be sure to call the company to ask for additional information specific to your electrical needs.
Talk to the Electrical Services Experts!
DFW Electrical Contractors is a team of highly skilled, licensed electricians serving the Dallas & Fort Worth metropolitan areas.
We provide a wide range of electrical services for both residential homes and commercial customers, including:
- Basic electrical repair
- Complete rewiring
- Electrical for renovations, additions, or new construction
- Energy saving solutions
- Lighting installation
- Fire & electrical safety inspections
- Ongoing electrical maintenance
- Backup generators
- Wired smoke detectors
- Holiday lighting installation
- Plus many additional services
We are known throughout the Dallas area as the “electrical specialists” because of our skilled, flawless work and dedication to superior customer service. Regardless of your specific electrical needs, we guarantee exceptional work that is always 100% safe and up to code.
Call (972) 200-3030 to get a free quote for your electrical services needs.